Saturday 13 February 2021

American Civil War - Major General Pickett and other Commanders - 15mm

 Another batch of Confederate commanders have been painted up this week.  


Above and Below: Major General George Pickett, Bugler and Staff Officer 



All of the figures are from Blue Moon.  There is lots of detail on them to paint. One difficulty is making one self stop and not keep going back to improve details further.  


Above and Below:  Brigadier General Barksdale.  Not actually included in the Confederate Personalities set, this officer was in the Mounted Generals set, and reminded me of the paintings of Barksdale encouraging his men from horseback 



Below we have more Brigade Commanders with either Buglers or Staff Officers to create my standard 2 -figure Brigade Commander Stands.







I was working on three wargaming projects at the same time this week, this is normally a recipe to get nowhere at all!  However, all have made great progress.  I'm waiting on another order to arrive before I can finish one of them.  More will be revealed.


I have just one crazy purchase this week.  I was inspired by the brilliant 'Little Wars TV'  You Tube channel and their episode on Antietam.  Their game looked great fun.  It looked amazing to play an entire large battle on a table and the game was very closely fought.  So I have ordered their rules called 'Altar of Freedom' designed by Greg Wagman.  The craziest thing is that now I have got my 15mm ACW armies to that really playable stage (after over 25 years of  non-continuous effort!),  will probably require a 6mm or even 3mm army to get the troops all on the board!  





Ah well, I shall stick with my trusted 15mm figures for those slightly smaller actions and different rules like Fire and Fury as well as Black Powder.  I'm not getting rid of these15mm figures after so much effort! 

20 comments:

  1. Splendid looking Confederate command and of course you can not get rid of them, you would only regret it!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Iain, Sorry a delayed reply from me here. Thank you for your kind comments. No, I agree with you - I won't get rid of them. I spent far too many hours on these commanders and indeed the whole army. These guys need to see a lot of action to repay the time investment!
      Best wishes,
      Jason

      Delete
  2. Jason,
    The detail you put into those 15mm figures is incredible.
    Neil

    http://toysoldiersanddiningroombattles.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Neil, Thank you for your kind comments. I probably over do things to be truthful, but I'm trying to explore quicker methods now.
      Best wishes,
      Jason

      Delete
  3. Great looking and lively commands, Jason.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dean, Thank you, I'm glad you like them.
      Best wishes,
      Jason

      Delete
  4. You never get rid of figures Jason - unless they are really hideous old things like I sold twenty years ago to fund some nice modern Front Rank 28mm - I had a large force of French Napoleonic infantry by Warrior Miniatures in Glasgow - they still exist and you can still buy an entire "army" of 100+ figures for £20-£30!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Keith, Sorry for the slow reply. I will keep these figures, the time spent painting can rarely be worth selling ranges. Though the troops you sold to get the Front Rank figures sound as if that was worthwhile! I wonder if those are the same figures I used to consider buying when I first browsed Military Modelling magazine in the early 80's and nearly bought some starter armies. In the end I waited and got some Minifigs from 'The Keep' at Devizes!
      Best wishes,
      Jason

      Delete
  5. Splendid vignettes, they look dynamic and superb!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Phil,
      Thank you very much. I hope these officers will take centre stage in some games soon.
      Best wishes,
      Jason

      Delete
  6. Great work Jason, and the colours you have used look spot on to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lawrence,
      Many thanks, I'm glad you like them. Trying out the different shades of grey was fun.
      Best wishes,
      Jason

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Hi Paul, Thank you, I'm glad you like them.
      Best wishes,
      Jason

      Delete
  8. They look super, and you should surely stick with what you have scale wise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Peter,
      Sorry a slow reply, I'm trying to catch up with blogging after a really busy few months. Yes, I agree - I really should stick with to 15mm. It has been a long slog getting these ACW units how I want them.
      Best wishes,
      Jason

      Delete
  9. Wonderful looking commanders. Beautifully painted, composed and based.
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi James, Thank you for your kind comments. I'm glad you like them.
      Best wishes,
      Jason

      Delete
  10. Great job on these ACW troops! My entire ACW collection is Blue moon. Great figs. First time on your blog so gonna have a look around. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stew, Sorry for the slow reply. I have had such a busy few months, I have only managed one post since this one and failed to reply to the comments made on either so far! Anyway, welcome - I hope you enjoy the blog. I agree about Blue Moon doing great figs.
      Best wishes,
      Jason

      Delete