Wednesday 3 February 2021

American Civil War - Confederate Command - 15mm

Here we have Confederate commanders ready to lead my large rebel army!   I started my Civil War collection in the early 1990's when I first obtained the excellent 'Fire and Fury' Rules.  Rapid painting followed and a large army of Union and Confederate troops made their way through my painting table and on to the board.  


Over the years since, I have added bits as necessary, but I have never really liked the very small command stands that Fire and Fury required.  At long last I'm now getting the stands organised to follow the larger bases that other armies in my collections have.  Above and below we have the commander of the Army of North Virginia, General Robert E Lee himself.


The figures are almost all all from the Blue Moon range. These are gorgeous figures, though the horses do come with a little more flash than I would like and this all needs very time consuming trimming off..



Other figures in these photos are from the Old Glory range.  


The flags are from GMB, who produce very fine flags indeed.


Above and below is a Corps Commander. This is one of the few who will be un-named and will stand in for Corps Commander's who I don't have a personality figure for. He is also smooth-shaven so is probably going to be representative of very few actual Corps Commanders on the Confederate side!
 


I have used the very nice Foundry paints for most of the uniform colours, their Confederate Grey has a hint of blue which looks very nice in a fine officer's coat.  I have tried to mix a few shades of grey in for interest.


I've used the same 'at a glance' system of command levels as my Union army.  The number of  figures
on the base indicate command level.  2 Figures are Brigade command, 3 Figures, are Division, 4 figures are Corps and 5 figures are Army command.


The above and below Brigade commanders are from Old Glory.



I have included a cavalry officer as the accompanying officer with this Brigade General. It was fun to get the yellow paint out.


Bases are MDF from Warbases. I have cut out and attached 'rubberised' self adhesive 3M metallic sheet beneath the bases to keep them from moving around in their plastic storage boxes.  

Basing texture is made from sand, water and brown acrylic paint and allowed to dry.  Three highlight shades are applied and cat litter rocks, twigs for logs, and small (and expensive!) tufts applied.

Instead of only applying tufts over the bases, as I used to do (I stopped for reasons of economy and also for improving the visual effect), I now apply 3 different types of static grass over PVA glue patches.  This adds interest to the base and allows me to change grass tone to match an area of the world more effectively.  

For most my armies I paint the edges of the bases, but for some reason I never have done with my ACW range and I quite like the way this helps to blend the bases into the playing mat.  The shaded wood might even add character to the base and takes the eye to the figures. 


I am at the point of deciding what next to do.  Painting time has unfortunately had to reduce somewhat due to workload from the paying jobs,   I have some more Confederate commanders ready for undercoating but I am also expecting some 10mm Gauls to arrive soon to add more ancient armies to my 'To the Strongest' collection. 


16 comments:

  1. Inspired work Jason, wonderful command stands!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Phil, I'm glad you like them.
      Best wishes,
      Jason

      Delete
  2. More great work Jason, the Blue Moon and OG figures work very well together. Your basing looks great and I agree with you about the relative cost of tufts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keith. The move away from just using tufts was a good thing. I made the move after watching a video about model railway terrain which looked amazing, and they used static grass for most of their work.
      Best wishes,
      Jason

      Delete
  3. Very nice command stands, Jason. Very neatly painted and based.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dean, I'm glad you like them. I'm just completing another 8 command stands but I might post something else up instead on my next post.
      Best wishes,
      Jason

      Delete
  4. Good looking command vignettes, Jason!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan, I'm glad you like them.
      Best wishes,
      Jason

      Delete
  5. Great looking command stands, they look ace!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain, I'm back on to 10mm again this week. It was quite good fun to do grey uniforms but I'm missing my bright colours again!
      Best wishes,
      Jason

      Delete
  6. Jason,
    Just as great as your Union Command. Super job.
    Neil

    https://toysoldiersanddiningroombattles.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Neil, I'm glad you like them.
      Best wishes,
      Jason

      Delete
  7. Very nice indeed Jason. Foundry have always been my go-to paints as well, and as much as I am open to trying other brands I always find myself returning to them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lawrence, yes the Foundry Paint sets are superb. I bought the Napoleonic set a few years ago and I use them for so many things.
      Best wishes,
      Jason

      Delete
  8. Excellent command stands with plenty of character. Lovely to look at!
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks James, I'm glad you like them :-)
      Best wishes,
      Jason

      Delete