Monday 14 December 2020

Great War - German Granatenwerfer 16 and Snipers - 28mm

This time we have some more German support elements for my Great War collection.  The Granatenwerfer 16 was a spigot mortar with a range of around 300 yards. It was a clever design which suited static trench warfare but could also be broken down into several large parts for rapid carriage for more mobile operations. A section would serve this weapon with the greater number of men acting as ammunition carriers.


The rest of the section is currently on the painting table but the main stand is here and has already seen action in a rules playtest.  I intend using the WW1 modification for 'Chain of Command' rules for these.


The figures are all by Great War Miniatures.  They are really well sculpted and I just enjoy painting them.  I might have mentioned that previously!



As the British have their Mark IV tank (shown in an earlier post), I have added a Mauser Tankgewehr M1918 to give them a further chance of knocking it out.  The rifle is precariously posed on a pile of bricks which I suspect would not stand the shock of firing without toppling over.  To give the illusion of it being a beefier support, I have added thicker foliage and broken tree stumps around the bricks.  The impression made by the bricks of it being in a fully urban setting is also dissipated which means it won't appear jarring when on a green field environment of the 1918 breakouts. 



Great War Miniatures also produce a sniper pack and these figures really deserved some time with the paint brush.  The additional armour on the figures is really interesting to see.  The figure is cast on a base with sandbags already in situ.  I just needed to build the ground up around his upper body and elbows to allow him to have sunk in a little.




The sniper figure below again comes on a base with some interesting cover already in place. Bricks, wood and corrugated tin adorn the base, giving the sniper some cover and plenty of  painting interest.  The armoured shield is a great addition and is based on examples in photos.




A kneeling sniper with additional helmet armour and also a standing sniper in face armour and home-camouflaged coat/zeltbahn make up the remainder of the pack.






I have had two solo-playtests of 'Chain of Command' for the Great War at the weekend, and these were a great success. I was slightly afraid of not liking the rules after so much effort gearing up towards it. But they are brilliant. Lots of tactical choices to be made every turn without getting bogged down in silly detail.  It does feel like a Platoon Commander's battle and that made it really interesting.  More next time!
 

20 comments:

  1. Fantastic work Jason.
    I also really enjoyed painting these packs when I did them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paul, the Great War Miniatures figures are just superb,

      Delete
  2. Superb poses, paint job...and inspired work on the bases, well done Jason!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautifully executed little dioramas these Jason .. I can see the attraction of this range of figures, they do look to be very nice sculpts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank Keith, I spend a lot of time looking at these figures. I look forward to seeing them on the table in action now that I have two full full platoons done.

      Delete
  4. Splendid collection of figures! Lovely finish, will you be able to field all those snipers at the same time?
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Iain, That is a good question and the answer is probably 'very unlikely'...I just couldn't bear to leave any of the packet left unpainted! I shall have to rotate them to keep them all keen! :-) Best wishes, Jason

      Delete
  5. Lovely work Jason, and full of character.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lawrence, It's a range I intend to add to, they are just great to paint.

      Delete
  6. Oh yeah! Very awesome additions to your Great War collection, Jason. Insprirational work as always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dean, I'm glad you like them. Between us we are collecting an impressive WW1 German Army! :-)

      Delete
  7. Magnificent yet again Jason. Really pleased to hear that the rules have passed the first test; always a crucial one. An important test too lest one ends up with figures looking for a way to get on the table!
    Looking forward to more.
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks James, I can't wait to get a proper game in now. The planned game with them was postponed before Christmas, but at least it allowed me to nearly finish the rifle sections. Best wishes, Jason

      Delete
  8. Great, great work! Congrats Jason

    I sent you an email on December 6th (on "roman43uk@hotmail.com" address) as "amarkoul@yahoo.com". Have you seen this email? If yes, could you please send me an answer?

    Thank you in advance, and keep up the good work

    Regards,

    Anastasios Markoulidis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Anastasios, Thank you for your kind compliment. I have now found your email. It went to my spam folder for some reason, so I apologise for that. I have emailed you back. I hope my reply is helpful as it looks like you have a wonderful project planned at Philippi.

      Best wishes,
      Jason

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Hi Peter, I'm sorry - I just saw that I missed replying to you from last month. Thank you for your kind comments on the troops. Best wishes,
      Jason

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind compliment Jonathan.
      Best wishes, Jason

      Delete