Friday 14 March 2014

Modern Spearhead- BAOR Chieftains and FV-432s


Work still slowly progresses with my 1/285 GHQ armies.  I have started on the British Army of the Rhine.  The idea being that I will have two small armies of less than a brigade strength each side, to play test the rules (Modern Spearhead).




I have completed 2 x Squadrons of Chieftains with an HQ Troop.  If the playtesting goes well then two more Squadrons will shortly be added to bring them up to armoured regiment strength.

In addition to the Chieftains, I have also completed a number of FV-432's for the mechanised infantry. Magister Militum are awaiting a delivery of some more which they will forward on to me.  I have painted what I have and hopefully this will suffice for a playtest game.  Two of the FV-432's are the variant with the 81mm mortar in the rear for the Support Company.






The last one is shown with an empty .22LR case for scale. :-)

I have some other units currently in progress.  I have a BAOR British Infantry Battalion at the basing stage and an RAF Tornado and Soviet SU25-FROGFOOT in the painting stages.

I will be very interested to see how the rules playtesting goes.  It is something I have been looking forward to for months.  If the rules are good, this will assist the painting process no end.  I always find that successful rules testing inspires a painting overdrive.  I am longing to get back to 28mm figures though, and the thought of painting the new 28mm British Infantry from Warlord Games isn't far from my mind!  However,  real life is particularly busy at the moment, so whatever I do next - playtesting or painting - neither had better be too time consuming!

6 comments:

  1. So little and so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your skillful brushwork and basing - along with the finely detailed models, make me think they are far larger-scaled then they really are. They look like 1:35th scale! Best, Dean

    ReplyDelete
  3. Any chance you could share your basing method as they look really effective. Great work look forward to seeing more.
    Cheers
    Richard P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your kind comments everyone.
    Richard - my basing methods are:
    1. Glue finished vehicle to MDF base
    2. Apply basing texture (mix of sand and brown acrylic paint) to base. Allow to dry.
    3. Paint semi-dry with a green. I use GW Deathworld Forest
    4. Paint on earth in patches (I use Humbrol Matt 29 - an old favourite!)
    5. Add dabs of GW 'Loren Forest' over the browns and greens. Allow to dry.
    6. Dry brush a yellow/buff mix over all of the textured base
    7. Dry brush a light grey over small patches of textured base (to give stony effect).
    8. Glue on patches of grass. I use 'Mini Natur's Short Tufts-Summer
    9. I finally lightly dry brush buff over the tufts - increasing for hotter climates
    10. Scrape off any surplus texture from edge of base and paint base edge.

    Ten steps, but it goes on pretty quickly. I hope it works for you.
    Best wishes,
    Jason

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interestingly I carried out my first play-test of Modern Spearhead tonight. I need to go over what went wrong but there were some oddities in the rules, not helped by the lack of diagrams. Some things worked well - other things were just strange! It could work very well - some serious further reading required before I start tinkering with it. :-)

    ReplyDelete