Thursday 3 October 2024

28mm - Napoleonic French Infantry - Peninsular War- Perry Miniatures

 

Followers of this blog might be particularly pleased to see that I have gone back to historical miniatures after a couple of posts of odd fantasy and Star Wars stuff!    And what a way to go back into historicals, but with Napoleonics!



This is the 69e Regiment de Ligne who were part of Foy's Division at the Battle of Salamanca.



I must admit that there is a reason why I decided to paint up a regiment of French Infantry for the Salamanca battle.  On Jan 1st this year I made the decision to take a battlefields tour to Spain and Portugal.  So in September I spent a superb 8 days in excellent company on a tour run by 'The Cultural Experience'.  This has led to renewed enthusiasm for the Napoleonic period for me.


I might yet do a post saying a lot more about the whole tour and share the best photos of the 750 that I took (thank goodness for digital cameras!).  

I'm still labelling up the photos and of course going back to work and the joy of being lost in the quagmire of running a department again has meant that I have barely paused for breath since.  I will say now though that for the wargamer who is interested in history, this has been another reminder of just how important it is to see the ground to get any really useful understanding of the battles.  

Books are good, but walking the field is incomparable.



One kind of photo that I found myself taking was of the ground of the battlefields. So many in Spain have not yet really changed at all, other than in minor details. There is so much that still remains as they appeared back 200 years ago.  I took a lot of photos of the ground around my feet. The colour of the soil, flora and rocks was something that I really wanted to take images of.  It's hard to beat the confidence it gives to then apply it to the bases of figures.  The photos above were taken at Salamanca. 




The flag is produced by the outstanding GMB Designs.



The Perry's figures are from the 1807-1814 plastic boxed set.  As usual from the Perry's the figures look wonderful and assembled really well.  I love the look of them and the many options that can be used for them.  I opted for the Grenadier bearskins but without adornments.







The Voltigeurs are wonderfully animated. I decided to base them for skirmishing, though there are sufficient in the box to have some marching figures in the column too.  Painting 36 figures for a Battalion is probably enough for me!


The photo above is another from Salamanca with a view of the battlefield behind.



The Greater Arapile above.



Above is a view of the Lesser Arapile from the French positions on the Greater Arapile.  It's easy and yet oddly difficult to imagine that this was the exact place where the Portuguese infantry advanced and then were beaten back with the French following up so aggressively that they did take the Lesser Arapile, until more British infantry defeated them and repelled them again.



A few more shots of the line companies.



Following the trip to Spain and Portugal, I purchased several boxes of 'Gamers Grass' Dry Tufts which seemed to me to give a good approximation of the grass shades I could see. I mixed these in with a few others on the bases to add interest.



I'm taking a pause from painting figures at the moment. I always feel relieved after finishing a unit of Napoleonics, as I do find it exhausting, if immensely satisfying.  I'm now painting Spanish scenery from Grand Manner (I managed to get some of his last castings before the owner closed the business up).

I should mention that the tour (in case anyone wishes to do it), visits a lot more than just Salamanca.  I'll finish labelling up my photos and probably will do a more detailed post in the near future.



2 comments:

  1. Lovely figures - that's the painting style that I prefer. Over the course of 40 years I've managed to visit most of the Peninsular War battlefields. Salamanca is one of the best. Walking the ground shows you the quite significant undulations that restrict your distance view. You can better appreciate how easy it was to be surprised by a Heavy Cavalry Brigade.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic painting and basing Jason! There is a Mt Arapiles in Australia, quite a famous climbing area, that was named after the battlefield in Spain. The battlefields tour does sound good.

    ReplyDelete