Saturday 10 August 2024

28mm - Ewoks!

 


After the last posting of Games Workshop spikey things for Bloodbowl, I imagine that you logged in expecting to see a normal posting of scarlet tunics and ranks of figures with levelled Brown Bess muskets...well that's what I thought I would be doing too!



I was gifted a set of unpainted Ewoks by Jane, a dear friend of mine. She saw my Star Wars Legion figures, which I am organising to play Star Wars - Chain of Command with.  I think it was for my birthday a couple of years ago that she gave me the gift of Ewoks.  They have sat unpainted for a couple of years, but I kept them in the cupboard behind my painting desk.  Ewoks might be a quick 'win' so I thought. Perfect to paint after painting something complicated.  What could be hard to paint about furry teddy bear characters? Well, nothing really, but I did found myself doing Google searches of 'Ewok faces' and such like for the last two weeks to remind myself what the furry beasties look like!

The two figures above are wonderful. One appears to be shaman like, with a sheep-like skull on his head, and the other looking wizened has the double light-sabre of the Darth Maul style, so he must be a leader or a warrior of skills.   



I use different base edge colours for Chain of Command for rapid identification. Senior leaders (Officers and SNCO's) have a red brown base edge.  JNCO's have dragoon green bases edges.  The remainder have British uniform khaki edges.



I liked the Star Wars Legion figures from when I first saw them, but I was less keen on all the cards and paraphernalia needed to play it.  I liked Chain of Command from when I first saw it, and although it is primarily a WW2 set of rules, it is very versatile for skirmish gaming.   There is a Star Wars - Chain of Command group of Facebook which is where I came across the very helpful group and their useful folders of stats etc for converting CoC to play games set in that far away galaxy a long time ago.



I must admit that I don't know who made the Ewoks. I believe they are sold on Etsy and are 3d printed.  These are the first 3d prints I have ever painted. I am very impressed by the detail. There was only a couple of minor breakages, but I hope I have adapted these so they are note noticeable.  I do like the amount of detail that can be incorporated.  There are not many lead figures where the bow strings are cast on to bows, so the detail really is top notch.



I'm sure some of these Ewoks are characters with names and distinctive dress, but alas, I was just guided by watching the movie clips and Google imaging generic Ewoks. So choices of dress and kit colours has largely been my own.





I'm looking forward to getting all of these chaps on the field of battle soon and pitching them against the Imperial forces.  I imagine they will be good in woodland and ambushes etc, but part of the fun is going to be sending them in Ewok waves against stormtroopers, just for the fun of it!



4 comments:

  1. They are great little figures, very nicely painted, should be fun seeing them up against the stormtroopers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nicely painted Jason but a bit too weird for me - I am not a huge Star Wars fan! Red coats and brown bess muskets next time, maybe?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice us of colour on these Jason, they look great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Splendid looking Ewoks, lovely finish as always!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete