Wednesday 1 June 2022

28mm Greek Casualties - Wargames Foundry

 

Not the most delightful of figure types, but for fitting in with the battlefield and avoiding obstructive markers, these are a necessity.  Here we have casualties for Ancient Greece.


These are Wargames Foundry figures, which have stood the test of time very well indeed.  They were just what I needed for the inevitable casualty/strength record keeping that is an essential in our particular hobby.

These are based with 'Hail Caesar' rules in mind, with the left hand dial keeping track of the unit 'Stamina' level and the dice square on the right to keep a track of the excess casualties which will need to be checked on break tests. 

The figures are up to the usual standard of Foundry. You do tend to know what you are getting with Foundry (except with some of their weird 18th century figures with odd square chins) and these are excellent.


I didn't want anything too gory, there is no extra red paint splashed about on these! So these are perfect.

Some Spartans are also mixed in and these are very effective too.


The shield transfers are a mix - I can't recall which company did the Spartan transfers but the remainder are from Little Big Man studios.

The dial turning casualty bases are from Warbases, as are the dice squares.  I bought a huge batch of these bases in 2013 (yes I actually still have the receipt!) but have  recently used the last one up.  I ordered a good number more the other week and was shocked to find nearly half of the dials did not turn.  

I have to hand it to Warbases, as soon as I told them, they sent more out to me and they will be receiving the sticking ones back to see what caused the glues to jam movement.  Hopefully their 'post-mortem' of the stands will sort the problem out.  I do like good customer service.


Overall I am very pleased with the way these have turned out.  These 21 bases took me a couple of weeks to paint and prior to that I was painting Union and Confederate dead on dial turning bases too.  More than a month of painting dead figures has left me a bit jaded though. I feel like painting something a bit more alive now.





Hopefully this will keep me going for a couple of decades.  The way I hop about between time periods it will probably be months/years before I do anymore Greeks - though I am awaiting an order of Spartans from Victrix.  I just need to get some more command stands painted up and then I can declare my Greek armies to be of a properly playable state..I just need more units now though!

10 comments:

  1. Great casualty markers Jason! The Victrix Spartans are superb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cyrus, the Spartans have arrived...the only thing is that I had another project on the table when the parcel arrived! Oh well - a short delay before they see paint.

      Delete
  2. These a great Jason. Ah, the perennial war gamers cry....."I need more units....!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keith, Other than the above mentioned Spartan's I'm trying to go back to some unfinished troops from my plastic and lead mountain. My first wargaming show to visit is next month, so that policy is not going to last long!

      Delete
  3. I'd say those are stunning, Jason!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter, I'm glad you like them. :-)

      Delete
  4. Splendid looking casualty bases!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain. I hope to do figures still standing next time!

      Delete
  5. Great looking casualty bases. I tried the same thing for HC but found the idea of needing around 40 of them daunting so went to just done fancy die holders. But the whole base IS cooler and I agree they don’t need to be gory. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stew, one advantage of casualty bases (at least if they are laying down) is that it's actually only half a figure to paint! That sped things up a bit.

      Delete