Tuesday 26 April 2022

Dark Age Buildings Part 2

                              




A few more snaps of my Dark Age buildings made by Grand Manner, continued from my last post.  All of these are 28mm resin buildings.



Building Three - Small Dark Age dwelling thatched -timber and daub

There is a joy in trying techniques and then trying to add a few more refinements.  There is a muted-ness (is that a word?) in the colours used on these houses.  With the flakes of wattle and daub coming away there is an element of decay in these houses. An honest peasant sort of house with this being totally unassuming.  Airey, spacious with rustic charm, all terms that modern real estate people might call it.  

I know it was just fun to paint, and make it look lived in and blending in with the environment over time.  I imagine that the wafts of smoke from the open hearths would be the first thing that an approaching traveller might see, rather than the houses themselves which would blend in so well to the landscape.

Many of the colours used in all of the buildings were the same paints, but I tried very subtle differences just so they did not all look the same.








Building Four - Dark Age Medium Thatched Dwelling

This is one for the more upwardly mobile sort of peasant.  The porch must have been the social equivalent then of having a Ford Mustang in the drive.

Again I love the little touches that Grand Manner added.  The heavy fabric curtains, allowing an element of colour, the axe outside ready for more of the frequent log-chopping for the hearth.

This building is wood panelled throughout and I really was unsure initially how best to go about this. Again I decided that deep browns were not the way forward, leaning instead towards buffs and greys.

The internal details were a joy to paint.  The top shelf of the shelf unit was a detached item that was glued on after the lower shelf contents were painted.  This was a great idea and gave more space to wield the brush. It was fun painting the contents of the food baskets. I can't recall ever doing anything quite like that before!












Building 5 - Medium Dark Age Dwelling Thatched - Timber and Daub

Another simpler type of house but still enjoyable to paint. I was glad to finish these. I found I got engrossed in the detail and the temptation to keep adding more was ever present. 

Amazing to see that wood panel floors are back in again in popularity, a timeless classic look!






Just some animal pens to go in the next post.  These houses were great things to do as a different sort of project.  I didn't feel like painting intricate figures last week and I also wanted to practice my techniques as I also ordered a medieval town set just before the Grand Manner unpainted buildings offer expired.  These should arrive tomorrow!  



8 comments:

  1. These really are very nice models Jason and you have done a lovely job painting them. Once again, I love the interiors and details like the axe by the front door chopping block - great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keith, I really like the touches that Grand Manner put into the buildings too. They catch the eye and just add that little something extra. Best wishes. Jason

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Hi Ray! Good to see you, thanks for your kind comment. Best wishes, Jason

      Delete
  3. Splendid finish on these lovely buildings!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain, I have one more post on these to go and then I'll move on to something different. After all the work I put into these I'm going to make sure that I show them all off! :-) Best wishes, Jason

      Delete
  4. All of these came out really well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter, Yes, I'm really pleased with these. I might have to paint some more buildings soon!

      Delete