Friday 24 December 2021

Battle of Hastings 1066 and Happy Christmas

 

Well, I'm back! That was a longer absence than I expected!  I was determined to get at least one more post in before Christmas, mainly to thank you all for your kind comments on my posts during the year, but also to wish you all a very Happy Christmas.

I have been busy painting and playing some excellent games too.  Since July, blogging posts have taken a back seat as my second job became busy and also the shooting competition season started in earnest (after having been postponed for so long due to Covid).  Something had to give and it was the blog posts.

I have lots of freshly painted units to take photos of and post but this is all going to take time. This might well be where the holiday period comes in very handy.

The posts below are from a very recent Battle of Hastings game. Ian commanded the Normans and I took charge of the Anglo-Saxons: 



As per the historical battle, the Anglo Saxons awaited upon Senlac Hill for the advance of the Normans.  The rules used were 'Hail Caesar' which ,when tweaked for the period of history being played, we generally find to be excellent.  


A few skirmishers seen leaving the Anglo-Saxon position to hurl sling-shot at the approaching Normans.  Various extra rules have been put in place. For instance Huscarls form the front rank. As soon as a unit becomes worn, the rear Fyrd fill the front lines and their stats are used instead.  This represents the fatigue and disproportionate weight of combat wearing out the Huscarls.


The Normans advance solidly onwards.  The Normans are a mix of Conquest Games, Old Glory and Gripping Beast.  I have just added Victrix Normans to their army (these are slightly larger but look fantastic).


The infantry melee begins!  The red dragon banner of Wessex in the foreground with King Harold attached ready for combat.


The red pipe-cleaners denote 'worn' status. The Normans attacking uphill into the axes and spears of elite troops suffer but they achieve their goal of wearing down the Huscarls.


Casualty markers increase among the Anglo-Saxons (Aeronautica Imperialis flight bases - most useful for the Stamina and excess casualties stats - they do need to be made prettier though!)

The worn markers start to appear too as the Norman cavalry rip holes in the Anglo-Saxon line. I might need to reduce the size of the pipe cleaners - it's interesting to see the pics and realise how ugly too many markers can appear


With the cavalry beaten off the Norman infantry return. This time they force the ridge.


Great gaps appear in the line.  In the picture above we see a Norman unit in retreat towards the retreating Anglo-Saxons. The reason for this is that the Norman unit had managed to flank the Anglo-Saxon's and the latter had to turn a unit to fight them. Having won, the Norman's run in the wrong direction. Alas the Anglo-Saxons now have an enemy to their own rear.

A view from the Norman lines as the gaps are ripped in the Anglo-Saxon shield wall and units break.  Ian commands the Normans to a great victory.  There are many losses to the Normans but that  means more booty to share among among the victors!  Another fabulous game!


As usual after a game, I look at the troops where I have shortfalls, and how a collection can be improved. Inspired by the game I usually make an order within a day or two and get painting on the new units.  I ordered Victrix Norman Infantry after this game. They really are superb figures and I still have 2/3rds of the order to paint up!

Anyway, Have a great Christmas and superb 2021 if I don't get to post again before!

7 comments:

  1. Hi Jason...Merry Chritmas mate! I have been wondering where you have been these last few months! Great looking game and figures. Look forward to a few catch up posts to see what you have been up to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Keith, I hope you had a great Christmas. I shall do my best to do some more posts again soon. I also need to catch up on everyone else's too. I have missed a lot! Happy New Year! Best wishes, Jason

      Delete
  2. Great photos Jason, Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ray! Thanks, Glad you like the pics. I hope you had a great Christmas and a Happy New Year to you. :-)

      Delete
  3. Great-looking game. I'm eagerly awaiting the Norman cavalry - supposed to be out early 2022.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it was great fun to play. Those Norman Cavalry do look awesome. I too eagerly await their release on sale.

      Delete
  4. Great looking game, sometimes something has to give but welcome back!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete