Friday 19 January 2024

28mm - Spanish Hermitage Building - Charlie Foxtrot Models

Ha! No one expects the Spanish Hermitage!  And apologies to Monty Python for that.   It's not often that I make buildings so there is an element of surprise here. Fitting in with my Peninsular War project is this building made by Charlie Foxtrot Models.  Charlie Foxtrot really do make some lovely MDF buildings. 


I must say that it all went together really well.  I checked out the company website for guidance and ideas and from this I was really impressed how it all went together. 


I love the details like the missing areas of plaster showing brickwork. This was neatly done by inserting the brickwork mouldings into the purposely left gaps in the MDF.  I have included some Cacadores  here for scale.


I used the recommended method of putting a sharp blade to the stone work and cutting away chunks of MDF to give the stonework a worn appearance.  I did the same with the step too, to show erosion over time.


I like the little touches. Even the bell is included.  It comes gorgeously shiny but, alas, I felt it needed some weathering to keep it in character with the somewhat neglected hermitage. A black green wash was liberally painted on to the bell. It has a rustic charm all of it's own now.


The roof comes as a resin casting and again it fits well.  The whole construction does not feel weak at all but solid and sturdy once glued together.


I used Polyfilla (sorry if it is called something else in the colonies) to texture the walls. I did this fairly roughly, leaving gaps and gouges. A gentle sanding removed excesses of the polyfilla and gave a really nice surface ready for the paints.


Finally I used various shades of Dark yellow and patches of terracotta and dry brushed to light on the walls.  I drizzled in some watered down green wash where damp and water might gather or run.  The roofing was done with Foundry Terracotta paint, washed with a mid-tone wash and then lightened progressively.  I've kept notes of the exact colours used (I keep a folder which has all the colours used for all of my projects!), should anyone find the information useful.

The building was actually really enjoyable to put together, texture and paint.  I will definitely be getting more wonderful buildings from Charlie Foxtrot models.

11 comments:

  1. Nice building- it can be used for so many scenarios!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great Jason and might be a bit of inspiration to me for a diy version in 20mm for my SCW collection...... 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keith, It yells out 'Spain' as soon as it is noticed on the table!

      Delete
  3. That is beautiful and difficult to believe it is MDF. I looked at some of their North American buildings a few months ago and they have some terrific products.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lawrence, I have never really liked MDF buildings but there is something about the Charlie Foxtrot models that make them look a lot more lifelike. As soon as the Polyfilla went on to create the texture, I was absolutely delighted, and knew it was going to look nice.

      Delete
  4. The Charlie Foxtrot "Spanish' buildings are superb but I know I could never do them justice. Fortunately I have some beautifully painted Grand Manner buildings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jeremy, I agree about the Grand Manner buildings being beautiful. I have some which I bought unpainted. I hadn't started the Peninsular project at that time - a pity as I missed out. However, these Charlie Foxtrot models are very pleasing, both to make and to look at.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks Neil, I'm glad you like the building :-)

      Delete
  6. Splendid looking mediteranian building, I'd get it but I'm in danger of getting into double figures for my ecclesiastical buildings!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain. Need a few churches on knocking about, they do set the scene for so many battlefields. Best wishes, Jason

      Delete