Friday 13 November 2020

1746 - Battle of Culloden - Entire British Army - 10mm

It's been a little longer than anticipated since my last post.  With the lockdowns I thought that I would be spending much more time being able to write blog posts.   In reality I found that having to home work for two jobs from behind my desk, left me with little enthusiasm for spending any more time at a keyboard.  I am glad to say that the painting has been coming on leaps and bounds and I have done something that I have never yet been able to do.  I have finished an entire army.



Yes, a planned project went to plan and it's not taken 20 years to get close to a respectable level like most of my armies.  Nope, this one really took shape this year.  I finished the final touches at 3am yesterday. I was determined to complete it before going to bed.



The figures are all 10mm Pendraken figures.  I have shown a little bit of progress before in an earlier post but in the next photos we have all of the British Army.


Planning took the form of working out a ground scale using maps of the battlefield and deciding what figure scale would look the best.  I wanted the largest figures possible so that I could enjoy the painting and see the detail.  I knew that 6mm would have worked and with lots of space to space, but I have yet to enjoy painting 6mm figures.


10mm appeared to allow me to create units at an approximate 1 figure represents 10 men scale, so that a 300 man battalion would have 30 figures.  Some regiments had more, others had less but I stuck with 30 figures for an Infantry Battalion.


In 10mm I also had space for moving formations of troops and open areas on the flanks.  The decision was thus made and Pendraken's figures seemed to fit what I needed.  


I used the Osprey books extensively for the research and also used a book called 'Like Hungry Wolves' by Stuart Reid. This has a vast number of battle maps showing the evolution of the battle and provided a lot of background information.  The plates are also excellent reference material (painted by Gerry Embleton, so the standard is very high indeed).


I must also mention the website https://www.kronoskaf.com/ which is a superb reference source for the Seven Years War.  This being slightly later of course, but still providing much needed information which often gave me clues when I was stuck for source material.


I have tried to give an overview with the photos of the British positions at the start of the Battle of Culloden.  Some of my terrain is lacking so I have had to make do as best as I can to give some approximation of walls, hedges and buildings etc, but the positions are pretty accurate.


It was an absolute joy to get all of the units in their Divisional groups under their own commanders and see them all formed up.  The desire to see this - and check that my ground scale calculations were correct - have been a massive driving force to completing these.



The cavalry posed an interesting conundrum for me.  Normally I don't worry about things like Squadrons and Troops and just have my cavalry organised in Regiments.  However, at Culloden it seemed pretty fundamental re-think this as the Squadrons were separated off, certainly for Cobham's Dragoons, so I needed to find a solution.


The solution was to use one stand and then form 2 Troops on that stand to form a Squadron.  So a standard Regiment was 3 Squadrons of 6 Troops in total.

Historically, the 10th (Kingston's) Horse in their blue Volunteer coats were understrength so were re-organised into 2 Squadrons of over sized Troops.  I have tried to reflect this by giving them more figures on a Squadron stand compared to the other Horse Regiments.




I also needed a way of differentiating between all of the officers.  Here we see Lt Gen Hawley the Commander in Chief above and the Duke of Cumberland as the Captain General of the Army below.

I decided that the number of staff officers (plus the main man) would indicate importance.

4 Staff Officers for the Duke of Cumberland
3 Staff Officers for Lt Gen Hawley
2 Staff Officers for Divisional Commanders
1 Staff Officer for Brigade/Reserve/Advance Guard Commanders




The artillery is also represented. I really like the officer aiming down the barrel (below).





It has been challenging getting the close ups.  Sometimes these images look ok until one tries to expand the photos!    The flags were from Pendraken sheets which I have painted over the top of to customise for each regiment.



10th (Cobham's) Dragoons above.  Plenty of detail here for the avid painter to enjoy.


Above and below here are the Duke of Kingston's 10th Horse (as opposed to the 10th Dragoons).  The uniform is conjectural but Stuart Reid has clearly carried out plentiful research and has changed his mind from the red coat in 'Like Hungry Wolves' to a blue coat in his later Osprey book 'Cumberland's Culloden Army 1745-46.' 



I do really like seeing a good red-coated infantry regiment formed up and ready for action.


Above we have a Coehorn mortar.  These were used at Culloden but not reported to have had great effect. Presumably the boggy ground absorbed the explosive effect of the shells.




Somewhat obsessively I do create under base and back of base labels for all of the figures.  I use a colour coding system on the back of base labels for small scale troops to ease keeping track of who is in which Brigade.




The 64th Highlander's above.  The bonnets appear very light in the flash of the camera.  I do tend to use lighter colours, the smaller the scale I use to try to show a more realistic reflection of light.


4th Barrells's Foot above.  The British Regiment that probably bore the hardest fight on the day


...and finishing off with the 21st North British Fusiliers.  

There were plenty of challenges with this project. There was a lot of research and decision making constantly.  Early on I needed to decide whether to go for the original 3 ranks or a more scale accurate 2 ranks (I went with 3 as it just felt right).  One tough decision was finding that I was 3 'hat men' short in a particular pose.  My option was to swap heads with some grenadiers and use Grenadiers but with hat heads instead, or buy another packet of 30 figures for 3 men!  I went with the head swap. It worked but that was fiddly in 10mm.

Of course...this isn't really the end.  Now I need their Jacobite opponents.  I had better buy some tartan paint!

22 comments:

  1. Cracking work Jason, really impressive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cyrus, I'm glad you like them :-)
      Best wishes,
      Jason

      Delete
  2. Very, very impressive army. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jonathan, Thank you for your kind comment. :-)
      Best wishes,
      Jason

      Delete
  3. Thanks for posting these photos you've encouraged me to keep going with my own culloden project, I was suffering from an overdose of painting red coats! If you haven't already read it get a copy of 1745 by Stuart Reid, a good read and lots of ideas for a campaign approach to the rebellion/rising.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Derek, It is a fascinating part of history. I must confess that last week I even bought a mid 1700's British Infantryman's hangar sword from an auction, just to feel closer to the history. I shall look into the 1745 book by Stuart Reid. If it's as good as his other work then it will be well worth it.
      Best wishes, Jason

      Delete
  4. This is a fantastic army and in 10mm, the detail you have managed to bring out is wonderful. I cant wait to see how you handle painting tartan plaid in 10mm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks rross, Yes, the plaid on 10mm will be...challenging for sure!
      Best wishes,
      Jason

      Delete
  5. Splendid looking government army! Lots of superb detail, wonderful finish on such tiny figures!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain, I can honestly say it felt like I had run a marathon by the last two units! I can assure you that I have painted big easy stuff since finishing these! :-)
      Best wishes,
      Jason

      Delete
  6. Superb lines of battle Jason, and most impressive close ups at this scale....spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Phil, I'm glad you like them. It should be interesting to see both sides on the table. It will be nice to have some space around the flanks. The smaller scale will give some options for movement.
      Best wishes,
      Jason

      Delete
  7. Beautifully done Jason...
    I am looking forward to seeing how you do the Jacobites...

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Aly, Thank you for your kind comment. Yes, painting the Jacobites will be interesting. I might start with the French units while I ponder the best approach!
      Best wishes,
      Jason

      Delete
  8. Very Impressive army. Looking forward to the Jacobites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Neil,
      Thank you, I'm glad you like them. 10mm does make it feel more like an Army than the bigger scales I think - even if I do prefer to paint 28mm.
      Best wishes,
      Jason

      Delete
  9. Great looking figures and gaming, Jason. The scale certainly conveys the look/feel of grand battle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dean, I'm glad you like them. I know I should really do more in 10mm to get the most from playing a General's perspective, but it's hard to get away from 28mm!
      Best wishes,
      Jason

      Delete
  10. A great looking collection, Jason. I rather like the look of 10 mm troops, while most 6mm troops leave me pretty cold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Peter, Thank you for your kind comments. I know what you mean about 6mm. I have a Peninsular War army to paint up but have only done one unit and I just have no enthusiasm to do more of them. It's funny how 4mm makes such a difference.
      Best wishes,
      Jason

      Delete
  11. These look great! I did the same myself with 20mm - it took some doing. Those last couple of regiments were a real 'labour of loves'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well done on completing the whole army - yes I know what you mean about the last couple of units - they seemed to be real efforts to finish for me too! I have not since done any work on my Jacobites - I think it's something I might return to after some other projects! :-)
      Bet wishes,
      Jason

      Delete