Thursday 9 April 2020

New Project - 10mm 1914 Imperial Germans - Pendraken


A new project?..and while I have so many projects to work on and make playable...yes!  I'm afraid so.  The move into WW1 has been a recent thing for me and the more books read, the more myths and perceptions are discarded, as history opens up its truths.  The innovations in every aspect in this period, from technology to tactics, was incredible.


 ...and yet after creating a late war WW1 28mm skirmish 'army', I find myself drawn to the period of pickelhaubes, soft hats and brass buttons and those early days of WW1 where the 'Old Contemptibles' proved themselves in those early actions.


Recent games of 'Spearhead' brought out the megalomaniac in me as I'm currently finding myself interested in seeing Corps sized units on the table.  It was when I saw the rule-set 'Great War Spearhead' advertised that it started me thinking.  On researching further I discovered 'Great War Spearhead II' had been brought out too, along with a series of scenario books including for 1914. 


Seeing all of these books at a stand at the Overlord Show in Abingdon (in those good days before the plague back in early March), prompted a major impulse purchase and a new project was begun.


The next question was in which scale?  15mm always looks nice but seemed a bit large for the size of actions being produced on the table.  6mm would be ideal...but I just don't enjoy painting them.  I bought a large set of Napoleonic 6mm armies ready to paint up rapidly to recreate Wellington's glories in the Peninsular. Alas even painting just one unit bored me.  The satisfaction of the finished models just isn't there.  I think perhaps, that once a few divisions are on the table then they might look impressive, but one 6mm unit painted did not enthuse me at all.


So I opted for 10mm. They are identifiable in this scale, reward a bit of attention with the brush and make nice models.  I still can't paint more than a couple of units without having to switch to 28mm though. It's the satisfaction of the finished items that act as a spur to painting the next unit.  However, doing the occasional 10mm battalion of 24 figures only takes a day or two and is not too painful.


These figures are by Pendraken with who I was already familiar from purchasing figures for another project.  I love the fact that the figures are just about flash free. There was just a tiny amount at the bottom of the base to be cut with a blade and it was a case of simply gluing to the painting base for the undercoat.


I must confess that I put way too much detail into my first units, using 4 shades of colour over the undercoat just on the basic tunic/trousers.  This was excessive.  I have cut other bits out of my painting procedure since as too much detail applied with the brush does not reward the effort at this size. 

It does amaze me to think that each figure is only 1cm tall,  The photo below is of the troops with a £1 coin!





Perhaps foolishly I made an attempt at giving the impression of painting the Regimental number on the front of the pickelhaube cover.  This took some time!  I also painted the uniform lace edging in red.  Was this necessary - no.  But for me it is part of the character of these early war German uniforms.


I tried to take enough care so that touching up/lining in was not necessary so time would be saved in the long run.


This picture shows Infantry Regiment Number 75, complete with its 3 battalions and machine-gun company and regimental command.  Each stand represents a company in Great War Spearhead II.


I also painted up 6 batteries of artillery and I have to say what nice models the Pendraken guns are.


The labels were produced as a word document and the use of colours enables the units to be easily plotted and kept track of.  The labels are on the back of the base as well as underneath.  I nearly put them on top of the bases but that for me, always detracts from the figures...though it would probably make the game play a little quicker.  I decided not to use Gothic script on the bases this time in order to assist rapid identification!



Clearly there is a lot more to go, but I have to say that the figures are becoming more painless to paint as I find elements that do not justify the time input. I will probably still continue with the red lace edging though!

11 comments:

  1. Considering the diminutive scale, these figures are fantastic Jason - and I can see the attraction of this scale for large numbers of troops..look forward to following your progress

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi rross, Thank you for your kind comments. The first unit took some doing as it involved a lot of experimentation with shades. Thankfully I logged it all down as I normally try to, so by the second unit I was able to introduce a few short cuts. Hopefully it will get easier yet...hopefully! :-)
      Best wishes,
      Jason

      Delete
  2. Well done, beautiful German units, great details!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Phil, thank you for your kind comments. Maybe too much detail painted on these.
      Best wishes,
      Jason

      Delete
  3. I really don't care for 6 mm at all, but step up to 10 mm and it's a world of difference. Not that I own any of either nor plan to! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Peter, I always thought I was a dyed-in-the-wool 28mm gamer but I have tried going smaller just to increase the ground scale. We will see how I get on! I do look forward to switching to something in 28mm soon.
      Best wishes,
      Jason

      Delete
  4. Hi Jason,

    I came across you scrumptious photos whilst looking for something suitable to illustrate an article in Slingshot, the bimonthly periodical of the Society of Ancients (I'm the editor BTW). Do you mind if I use a few of them for the next issue? You will of course receive full accreditation and I'm happy to include your blog address in the article. Let me know if that suits.

    Justin

    You can contact me at editor@soa.org.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Justin,

      Thank you very much for your kind comments. I have just sent you an email.

      Best wishes,

      Jason

      Delete
  5. PS: I've been trying to get rid of the 'First Chapter Review' account for ages but it won't go away.

    Justin

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marvelous looking WW1 figures, Jason. Very impressive brushwork - the piping is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dean, Thank for your kind comments. I have some more of these troops lined up on the table to paint...but I just fancy doing some brighter colours now.
      Best wishes,
      Jason

      Delete