Thursday 23 July 2020

American War of Independence - 71st Regiment of Foot (Fraser's Highlanders) - 28mm Perry Miniatures


Having spent since March painting 10mm figures, it was a welcome return to come back to painting 28mm figures for one of my favourite wargaming periods.


On 4th July, I was very pleased to play my first game for ages as the lockdown rules had relaxed sufficiently on that day to permit this. The significance of the date was not lost on me.  The first game chosen was a hypothetical battle set in the Carolina's in 1781. The rules used were Black Powder as they are the simplest 'go to' set that I have, and never fail to give a brilliant game, particularly for this period.  The 'Rebellion' Book written for the rules by Stephen Jones is (in my opinion) by far the best Warlord Games supplement book.


The game was brilliant, even if my Continentals did come off slightly worse. It was still a hard-fought game and it could have gone either way.  Ian managed to achieve a narrow victory and my forces would have retreated at nightfall.  Filled with enthusiasm afterwards I was prompted to put my 10mm troops to the side and paint a unit of  these fine troops from my lead mountain.


The figures are from Perry Miniatures and are of the 71st Regiment of Foot.  The castings were great to paint up and it constantly amazed me to think that I have had these undercoated ready for painting for about 3 years, but I just needed the enthusiasm kick of another game to spur me into painting.



Once I started, I could barely put the paint brushes down.  The Perry's have produced some wonderful characters. This is something that I really missed with painting 10mm figures.  It is just not the same.  It was great just seeing the figures come to life with every painting stage.



The 71st comprised two Battalions.  The 1st Battalion being lost at the Battle of Cowpens, but the 2nd Battalion continued to gallantly fight at Wetzell's Mill, Guilford Courthouse and Green Spring.




The flags are from the wonderful GMB flags range.










Well there we have it, over 2 and half weeks work with up to 10 hours a day spent on them (and other days a lot less).  So far my AWI British are neck and neck with my 10mm British Jacobite Rebellion Army as being the first 'complete' army planned from the outset for one particular battle or campaign.  Each has about 3 units and some command stands to go...who will be ready first?...Or shall I just paint some tanks instead - it does sound easier!

24 comments:

  1. Beautifully painted Highlanders, Jason. The checkerboard work on the bonnets are marvelous. I may someday have to visit AWI - the uniforms are just as varied and impressive as Napoleonics, in their own way. For the record, I also like working on AFV's once in a while as a nice change up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dean, Thank you for your kind comments. Yes the checkerboard pattern on the bonnets gave me pause for thought! I nearly didn't give the pattern the green centre, but I am glad I did as it improved the look. I agree that the uniforms in this period are as impressive as Napoleonics, but there is just something about Napoleonics and so much lace that I just find very daunting!
      Best wishes,
      Jason

      Delete
  2. Most impressive details Jason, faces are so expressive...Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Phil, Thank you for for your kind comments. The faces are always fun to paint, though I had to go back and do some of the eyes, I always manage to make one or two look a bit too crazy!
      Best wishes,
      Jason

      Delete
  3. Lovely brushwork Jason, they a fabulous. I really must get back to AWI soon myself, perhaps next year.

    Cheers
    Matt
    French Wargame Holidays

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Matt,
      Thank you for your kind comments, I'm really glad you like the figures. The AWI is such an interesting period to study and play.
      Best wishes,
      Jason

      Delete
  4. Very effective work on the bonnet's, the eyes are drawn right to them. Painting these is either off or on, yours are spot on.

    Cheers
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kevin,
      Thank you for your kind compliment. I must admit to being a little nervous about the tartan pattern on the bonnet's as I started!
      Best wishes,
      Jason

      Delete
  5. Splendid looking toys Jason...

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Aly,
      Many thanks for you kind compliment, I'm really glad you like them.
      Best wishes,
      Jason

      Delete
  6. Lovely work on the beautiful Perry figures Jason. AWI is one of my favourite periods for uniforms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi rross,
      Thank you for your kind comments. It's hard to beat the AWI and hard to beat the Perry's figures for it. I made another order only yesterday for some more AWI from them!
      Best wishes,
      Jason

      Delete
  7. Gorgeous looking AWI Brits! Really nice work!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Iain,
      Thanks, I'm really glad you like them....more on the way soon!
      Best wishes,
      Jason

      Delete
  8. Very handsome work on your highlanders, Jason. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jonathan,
      Many thanks for your kind compliment. Bicorne hats will seem easy to paint after these!
      Best wishes,
      Jason

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Hi Mark,
      Thanks for your kind comment. I'm glad you like them. I hope to post some more up shortly.
      Best wishes,
      Jason

      Delete
  10. Great stuff, may I ask what you are using for your red on the uniforms?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Doug,
      I use the Foundry Paint System British Redcoat set 68 (all 3 x paints). This shade might be a touch bright for the campaign brick red jackets worn by the common soldiery and some might prefer just to paint officers in this nice red. However, I really like the shade and am happy to use it on all of my redcoats.
      Best wishes,
      Jason

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. Hi James,
      Glad you like them.
      Best wishes,
      Jason

      Delete
  12. Excellent bonnets- and the coats look fine to me, perfect for the scale. FWIW, my forbear came over with Fraser's before opting for the easy life on the staff. So it's always nice to see such a vivid representation of the 71st

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Arty, Thank you very much for your comment. It must be great to have an ancestor who took a direct part in such an interesting part of history. I'm glad you like the troops.
      Best wishes,
      Jason

      Delete