Tuesday 28 July 2015

Sir Marmaduke Langdale


Well, it's nice to do another blog post! Much has been going on since the last post but I have managed to get quite a bit of painting done of late too.   My games of Pike and Shotte have shown me how desperately short of command stands both my Royalist and Parliamentarian armies are.  

As much as I prefer to spend time painting infantry and cavalry instead of commanders (because of some sort of feeling of obligation to doing my very best efforts to the great and bold), I felt I could put this off no longer.

Inevitably,once started, I really got into it and enjoyed putting the colours and detail on.


This is Sir Marmaduke Langdale along with one of his senior cavalry officers.  He was an important Royalist commander during the Civil Wars, and he famously led the particularly rough and mutinous 'Northern Horse'.  More information is available at this particularly good resource:




http://bcw-project.org/biography/sir-marmaduke-langdale

Interestingly Sir Marmaduke appeared to suffer an awful lot of defeats and one can only admire his doggedness and spirited refusal to give in.




The portrait appears to show him wearing some kind of cap which seems to sit too far to the back of the head to be an armoured skull-cap, so I have made the assumption that it some sort of velvet cap, perhaps to add extra padding beneath his helmet, so have painted it as such.


The figures are all produced by Bicorne Miniatures and have been painted with a mix of Vallejo's, Citadel and mostly Foundry colours.

6 comments:

  1. Fantastic painting Jason, you've really captured his features from the portrait!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cyrus. It's nice to hear that the extra effort was worthwhile. It's so helpful that so many portraits from that period have survived too.
      Best wishes,
      Jason

      Delete
  2. Great looking Command stand. I agree, the work on the face is especially impressive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Peter, Thank you very much for your kind comments. I still have a few more command stands to paint including Charles I - hopefully I can make these recognisable too :-)
      Best wishes,
      Jason

      Delete
  3. Lovely work, especially the buffed leather (is that one of the Foundry triads?).

    As Cyrus and Peter have said, he looks suitably fed-up and that this might be "another one of those days"...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lawrence,
      Thank you very much for your comments. Yes, the buff leather is indeed one of the Foundry triads. It is 'Buff Leather 7A,7B,7C'. I have used them 'as is' without further mixing as I really liked the look it gave to the leather.

      At least Sir Marmaduke did finally receive his Estates back (just months before he died), he at last saw a victory of sorts!

      Best wishes,

      Jason

      Delete