Saturday 13 June 2015

Greek Peltasts

At last!  Some time to do a blog post.  I had been quite pleased to get three posts done in April, but May was less good for my blogging!  I have done some painting though and I am pleased to have got several units painted up over the last couple of months.


These are the 28mm Victrix Greek Peltasts from the excellent 'Greek Peltasts, Javelinmen and Slingers' box. They really are great figures and I thoroughly enjoyed building and painting them all. Paints used were mostly from the Foundry triad range and which I am finding very pleasing to use.


I must say that it was hard to decide who were going to be the Javelinmen and who were going to be the Peltasts in the box.  Basically for me it came down to a question of basing to ultimately differentiate.  Peltasts seemed to me to be infantry who could fight formed or in open order and were happy to skirmish at distance or at close contact.  


I decided to base my Pelasts in threes so I could disperse them in Open Order should the need arise.  I saved the arms carrying multiple javelins for my Javelinmen (who I will post a pic of at a later date) who will fight in more open skirmish order and are based in two's.  There seemed to be some blurring of roles and kit between the two types of troop from the sources I read, but I now have light infantry and skirmishers so this suits me fine.












The stand above shows my command group for this unit.  Just small details to differentiate this stand; a trumpeter and a suitably heroic leader with smart shield design, striped tunic and Corinthian style helmet to set them off.


They have seen action twice now, not against another Greek City State but in the Roman Civil Wars between Pompey and Caesar as Greek allies.  With some more painting I may yet get a Greek Army painted up...alas I'm currently in 17th Century mode with a strange pull towards painting Napoleonics...no idea what is causing this other than a certain anniversary!

14 comments:

  1. Great looking unit, Jason! Please tell me those are shield transfers...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Peter, Thanks for your compliment! Yes I can confirm that those are indeed shield transfers. They are produced by Little Big Man Studios and sold via Victrix.
      Best wishes,
      Jason

      Delete
  2. I must say that we rarely see such beautiful troops Jason, details are incredible, especially for me the eyes, the clothes, the bases and, agree with Peter, shields...confess, they are transfers, please!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Phil,
      Thank you very much indeed for your kind comments. Yes, I just replied to Peter above, they are shield transfers - I have spent long enough just painting the figures! I think painting shield designs like those would drive a man crazy! :-D
      Best wishes,
      Jason

      Delete
  3. Great work on the peltasts Jason!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Cyrus,
      Thank you very much for your compliment. It's always nice to hear good things from others who's work I admire.
      Best wishes,
      Jason

      Delete
  4. Your work has convinced me that I need these miniatures! I wonder how long they will sit on my plastic pile, hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chris,
      My goodness I think this box sat on my shelf looking at me for a year before I got to finishing all the figures!
      Best wishes,
      Jason

      Delete
  5. Really love those, Jason; very colourful! The transfers set them off a treat.

    Best, Simon

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Simon,
    Thanks for your kind comment. I look forward so much to the day I have an army of these fellows! :-)
    Best wishes,
    Jason

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, Jason, don't know how I missed this post earlier, but beautifully painted Peltasts. The shields are awesome too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dean, Many thanks for your kind comment. I'm missing people's posts all over the place at the moment - its that time of year when we make the most of the good weather :-) I look forward to posting more frequently soon.
      Best wishes,
      Jason

      Delete
  8. These are lovely Jason. Very well painted figures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carlo, First of all, thank you for your kind comments, and secondly thank you for becoming a follower of my blog. I'm afraid my posts have been a bit scarce of late but I hope to be publishing more shortly.
      Best wishes,
      Jason

      Delete