Wednesday 1 April 2015

Theban Hoplites

I have some time now to catch up with putting up photos of recently painted figures. These are the excellent 28mm Victrix Theban Hoplites from 5th - 3rd Century BC.


The paints used were mostly from the Foundry range as I am getting good results from their triad system of colours


Oddly, I hadn't really planned to get into painting Thebans. My original intention was to paint Athenians and Spartans, but once I saw the box of these troops at a wargaming show, I knew I just had to get some. The Boeotian helmet really adds a lot of character to the Thebans.


Of course now I have them painted up, inspiration has struck and I want to build up an army of these. From what I have read so far, they changed sides from being an ally of Sparta to being the enemy who finally destroyed them.



The figures were a great pleasure to paint and I am really looking forward to getting the time to paint up some more units to support them.  As usual though, I have too many projects!  No doubt when the spring turns into summer and the heat starts cracking the roads again (or close enough to it for the UK!), I shall turn my attention again to Ancient Greece.




PS. Apologies to those whose blogs I normally follow and comment on - I have been away for over two weeks and have to catch up with lots of reading!

12 comments:

  1. Wow - those are just lovely, Jason. I must say Victrix have the best Hoplites on the market and you've certainly proved it with your brushwork.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dean. I agree about Victrix having the best Hoplites. I have some other which I don't know if I will ever get around to painting as they are just not as good.

      Delete
  2. Great work on the Victrix Thebans!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking really good. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks for your kind compliment Aaron. :-)

      Delete
  4. Splendid, they are splendid!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are lovely, Jason. Lots of work in that unit! I was only saying yesterday how much I'd love to own a Theban army, myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simon, I'm undercoating another unit of Thebans right now but I really should be doing other stuff!

      Delete
  6. Great looking Hoplites! Along with Athens and Sparta, Thebes was the third fairly consistent major player in the wars of Ancient Greece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter, I really do need a good few more units of Thebans considering their importance in those wars. They are good to paint too! :-)

      Delete