Wednesday 11 November 2015

Regiment Von Trumbach/Von Bose - Hesse Cassel Infantry - American Revolutionary War


A change of historical periods again for me with my latest addition.  I have been busy in my absence from blogging!

This time sees the Regiment Von Trumbach from Hesse-Cassel.   This unit later became the Regiment Von Bose when it had a change of command in 1778.


This regiment was hired, along with a large contingent from the German state of Hesse-Cassel, by King George III to go to American during the American Revolutionary War.  Hesse-Cassel provided the largest contingent provided by the German states.




The regiment saw action at New York, Eutaw Springs, Stono Ferry, Charleston, Savannah and Yorktown.  The regiment also famously saw action at Guilford Courthouse where they gained renown for their courageous actions during the desperate battle.




These figures are from the fabulous Perry Miniatures range.  Flags are from GMB and paints used are mostly from the Foundry range.





I couldn't resist painting some of the troops with 'mattress-ticking' overalls in a red-striped scheme.  I guess that the John Mollo book 'Uniforms of The American Revolution' left a deep impression on me. Despite an aversion to painting straight lines, I felt these just didn't look right until I had painted around a third of the regiment with stripes (after which I felt in need of a well-deserved drink!).





So, I am back into painting American War of Independence/Revolutionary War figures again.  There are several reasons for this, one being that I have a game scheduled in December.  I started this collection in 2008 and have never had enough figures for a game.  I now have enough...just...but I may need to use some French Indian range troops to fill in some gaps.

I am desperately painting Lord Cornwallis and two other commanders for the game.  Competing with this is an exam in December, and two weekends of Brown Bess shooting events (another reason for getting the inspiration for this fascinating period of history again!).

15 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Hi Cyrus, Thank you very much. I love it when a unit is completed :-).
      Best wishes,
      Jason

      Delete
  2. A beautiful unit, very eye-catching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lawrence,
      Thank you very much for your kind compliment.
      Best wishes,
      Jason

      Delete
  3. Stunning job Jason, fantastic details on the clothes and faces!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Phil,
      Thank you, I am glad you like them. I will have a look at your blog again soon as I have got very behind on my blog reading. I imagine I have missed lots of good things.
      Best wishes,
      Jason

      Delete
  4. Beautiful painting Jason, beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Fran,
      Thanks, I'm glad you like them. The stripey overalls did nearly do me in though! :-)
      Best wishes,
      Jason

      Delete
  5. Gorgeous unit, Jason. The faces are especially impressive!
    Good luck on your exam!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Peter,
      Many thanks for your compliment and your good wishes for the exam.

      I have Lord Cornwallis on my painting desk (or at least the model of him!) and am hoping to get his facial details at least as good. That's the problem with painting senior officers - the more senior = the greater the scrutiny! :-)

      Best wishes,
      Jason

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Hi Jason,
      Thank you very much for your kind comment. I'm glad you like them. :-)
      Best wishes,
      Jason

      Delete
  7. Simply superb, Jason. Although I haven't painted any AWI in 28mm, I have fond memories of the Airfix sets I had as a wee lad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dean, Ah yes those Airfix sets - I have some of those still - I think I painted up two boxes and gloss varnished them. Lots of troops laying down in poses in one of the sets if I remember rightly. Happy memories.
      Best wishes,
      Jason

      Delete