Thursday 29 January 2015

Roman Command Stand

The Roman General was painted up about 15 years ago and  I thought he was well over due being put onto a decent base.



Having been attached by himself to a single piece of card all those years ago, I decided to add a mounted Legate to the stand to lend an extra sense of authority.   So there is something like 15 years painting time between these two.  Some areas have been freshened up on the General in more recent years.  If I remember, I originally painted the cloak with an enamel but it looked decidedly faded so was later painted in a richer acrylic.



Both figures are from the 28mm Foundry Imperial Roman range


I seem to be painting two scales of Romans at the moment.  Having just read Julius Caesar's 'Gallic Wars' I'm now reading his 'Civil War'.  This has (as probably expected!) enthused me with the Caesarian Roman period.  I've started this range in 10mm while I carry on with the Imperial Romans in 28mm.  My plan is to use Simon Miller's 'To the Strongest' rules with huge 10mm armies so that I can play massive battles in a sensible amount of time.


Of course this plan is likely to go awry as my regular wargaming opponent, Ian, has several painted cohorts of 28mm Foundry Caesarian Romans freshly painted and they look stunning.  There must be a latin-named medical condition for anyone painting up 3 x Roman armies at the same time!  I shall hold off doing so for as long as possible!

10 comments:

  1. Very nice and inspiring - as I was just reading up again on Actium, as well as Antony and Octavian.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dean,
      Thanks for your comment. Antony and Octavian - now that is a fascinating chapter all on its own. I can see them appearing on my table this year too!
      Best wishes,
      Jason

      Delete
  2. Great painting and basing on the command stand. I have five 28mm Roman armies to finish Republican, Marian/Caesarian, Early Imperial, Middle Imperial and Late Roman!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cyrus, Five Roman armies on the go! I thought I had the Roman illness bad, but I think you are incurable! ;-)
      Bet wishes,
      Jason

      Delete
  3. Furuor Romanus, or
    Omni Romano exercitu in partes tres divisum est!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Peter,
      Sadly I must confess to having to use Google translate - one of my biggest regrets in life is not having learned Latin! I learned how to decipher Roman tombstones on a university course but so far that's all :-( Until I learn their language I shall have to give my order to my troops with a roll of the dice and a helpful push across the table!
      Best wishes,
      Jason

      Delete
  4. Excellent, from the base to the top of the helmett!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Phil,
      Thanks for your kind comment - glad you like them.
      Best wishes,
      Jason

      Delete
  5. Very nice! By chance I'm just basing the same mini (the one in the helmet) today. I'd love to see TtS! in 10mm. I am working on 7 Roman armies, should I seek help? ;-) Best, Simon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Simon, Seven Roman armies!!!!!! Caesar himself would be proud! :-) My TtS! 10mm project is coming along slowly. I find that I enjoy 28mm figure painting more so I'm painting 10mm units between 28mm units on my painting conveyor belt. I'll put some photos up in due course but I think it will be summer before I have enough 10mm for a game - a pity as I can't wait to play TtS! with them!
      Best wishes,
      Jason

      Delete