Thursday 21 January 2021

Great War - Whippet Tank - 28mm - 1st Corps Miniatures

This arrived in the post before the Confederate command figures that I had been expecting.  I hadn't planned to start painting the tank yet but once I opened the parcel, I couldn't wait to commence!


The model is a Whippet tank in 28mm from 1st Corps Miniatures.  It is in resin with metal Hotchkiss machine guns and a metal commanders hatch (with optional metal commander).  As commanding with the hatch open wasn't really a thing in combat then, I decided to leave the commander out from the model.



I was pleased to see that the model came as one piece with tracks already fitted. It was very cleanly moulded with only a small amount of trimming, mostly on the base which models the proper effect of weight and balance of the tank.  Only the few metal parts were separate.  I was so impressed with the appearance of this early tank that I finished it in two days of receiving it...if only the rest of my lead/plastic mountain could be painted so quickly!


I wanted to weather the tank without going over the top, so I used a series of washes and dry brushing to get the effect I wanted.  I was keen not to plaster it in mud as the vehicle was used largely in the breakout rather than crossing no-mans land, but normal country roads and fields are going to muddy the vehicle somewhat.  I found some photos online where canvas mudguards had been fitted, so clearly mud was an issue for the crews.  I imagine that pushing the rear door open must have been difficult, when the bottom of it was solid with mud flung up from the tracks.


All it all it was a lovely model to paint and I note that the armoured cars in the same range look amazing too.  I shall stick to Great War Miniatures for the figures though I did buy a couple of British snipers from 1st Corps as GWM don't produce snipers for the British.

The tank looks equally awesome from the rear - if anything it looks more likely that it should be going in this direction, as we are more used to seeing the engine being in the rear of  tanks. I note that the fuel tank is in the front angled box which struck me as an odd position first of all, but then it does make sense keeping fuel away from the crew.  Spare fuel was often kept stored above the crew compartment, however, which proved to be a dreadful location according to the original accounts. 

Confederates next...unless something else distracts me!

14 comments:

  1. Jason,
    Super looking tank.
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Neil, glad you like it.
      Best wishes,
      Jason

      Delete
  2. Great looking tank, Jason. Nice weathering too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dean, I find weathering a really difficult balancing act. Nothing worse than too much of it. Hopefully it looks ok on mine. Best wishes,
      Jason

      Delete
  3. Well done Jason, beautiful tank!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil, I'm glad you like it.
      Best wishes,
      Jason

      Delete
  4. A great looking Whippet tank - I have an Old Glory version for use with my RCW collection - I agree with your comment on the orientation of the tank - I assume the "turret" would be at the front too, until Mark from 1866 corrected my misinterpretation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Keith, I didn't realise that Old Glory did a version of the Whippet. I'll have to see what else they make for WW1!
      Best wishes,
      Jason

      Delete
  5. Splendidly weathered whippet! I was also confused with the orientation the first time I saw one!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Iain,
      Thanks, I have to say that keep looking at the model and I still think it looks better going in reverse!
      Best wishes,
      Jason

      Delete
  6. All these early tanks are fun in their primitive, clunky designs. This one looks great, Jason!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter, there is something very 'Steampunk' about this tank compared with the other early ones. I thought the that when I first got it out of its packaging!
      Best wishes,
      Jason

      Delete