Thursday 4 July 2019

Franco-Prussian War 28mm - French Generals


Some projects are easy, and others evolve and take on greater complexity.  This particular project started off as the former and ended as the latter as small details became more apparent during test basing.  Until in the end I finished up with this!


This is the Foundry 28mm French command pack for the Franco-Prussian War.  I have always loved this set. It was the Perry's at their most imaginative.  You can see that they loved their subject as they sculpted these figures.  The animation is first class and the body language just talks.


Having painted several brigade command stands (see earlier posts), it was time for the big one.  My plan was to base these on a large circular stand (or maybe rectangular) with the usual fare of scatter grass and be done with it.  However...as I painted more details I became more aware of small details.


a.  There is nothing holding the map down.  Anyone who has tried to lay a map down on a table knows how difficult this is!   You need weights on it..unless you are indoors.


b.  In addition The table and bench is quite large, more like household or barn furniture rather than something to be dragged outside off of a wagon.




c.  Finally the Carabinier of the Guard is putting his coat on. One really only tends to put a coat on if going outside.


So there were three reasons why I could not go with my original idea of the round grassy base.  I had to have the generals indoors.


Then I was left with the despatch being handed to the Guide of the Guards by his officer.  Well they couldn't be indoors really - who would ride a horse into the General's quarters(?!) Nope - it had to be more imaginative.  Several different ideas were tried and dry runs and drawings until I finally found a diorama style which seemed to tick all the boxes for me.


The door is made from thin slices of wood, whittled with my penknife.  Wire, plastic tubing (for door handle), card and plasticard formed the door furniture with tiny cuts of wire forming the large metal nails.


The walls were made of packing foam coated in Polyfilla household plaster.  The door furniture on them was from cut plasticard and paper card.


The floor planking was also made by applying a coating of Polyfilla and inserting the figures into pre-planned positions.  I then used a sculpting tool to cut in the planking.  I wanted the overall effect to be of a French provincial Farmhouse/Barn.  I wanted it to have lots of rustic charm and look servicable but somewhat neglected.  I had lots of fun looking at pictures of old decayed paintwork and wood and trying to replicate the appearance.  Applying washes is always a risky business, but it was a lot of fun and there are all sorts of colours in those walls.




I was tempted to add a partial roof but this would have obscured essential detail.  I think the method used allows the imagination to 'see' the building as it should be.



Just to finish off, here is a wider overview of the whole diorama.  I used to be a keen modeller in my teens but other than some minor fettling of small scenic items, I have not tried anything diorama-like for many years, so I am pleased with the way this turned out.


Next on the painting table... I have no idea!  I have so many plans and wishes, it could literally be anything!

18 comments:

  1. Jason, you've created a masterpiece! Beautiful painting, love the poses, special mention to the thoughtful general on the bench and to the carabinier putting on his cloak...and awesome scenery, the table with the maps is top notch...Congrats!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil, It took a while but I am glad with the way it has turned out. If I make more stands this size then I will need a bigger wargaming table! :-D

      Best wishes,
      Jason

      Delete
  2. What a fantastic showpiece, Jason. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter, I'm glad you like it. :-)
      Best wishes,
      Jason

      Delete
  3. What a great piece with loads of lovely details!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Iain. I could have kept adding detail. I thought about putting a window in to the main wall, but then it would need glass, and a frame...and shutters. It would be never ending! :-) Best wishes,
      Jason

      Delete
  4. Wow! Fantastic painting of great figures in a wonderful setting. Only thing is...no one is into Franco Prussian War...Lol! Hahaha, just kiddin, you're continuing to inspire my foray into the period. Best regards, Dean

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like it Dean. Yes I think it's just the two of us playing Franco -Prussian War in 28mm at the moment! Which side do you want to play :-) I think we inspire each other to paint these troops. It really is such a great period for uniforms.
      Best wishes,
      Jason

      Delete
  5. Holy smokes, this is pretty amazing. Now I feel dumb that my command stand is outside...great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've just seen your Gen Douay command stand Greg, nothing to feel dumb about - that is a piece of beautiful artwork. You made that work really well (and you don't take up 12 inches of valuable playing space with it!)
      Best wishes,
      Jason

      Delete
  6. Great little command stand Jason!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christopher, I'm glad you like it.
      Best wishes,
      Jason

      Delete
  7. Great diorama piece, and a wonderful 'how I got here' tale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, It was quite an enjoyable project, but I was glad to finish it. I felt my comfort zone being pushed a little with the modelling!
      Best wishes,
      Jason

      Delete
  8. Lovely work. This is one of my favorite FPW pieces. I painted it some 30 years ago and it is long since gone from my collection...I must redo it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mark, Thank you for our kind comment. The Foundry FPW range is still one of the most beautiful ranges out there after all these years. I hope you enjoy remaking the command set. It will look even better with the experience of years passing too. :-)
      Best wishes,
      Jason

      Delete
  9. Very very nice, and spookily like my own real life French farmhouse...lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi JBM,
      Thank you very much for your kind comment. Sorry for the slow reply. Just started a new job a few weeks back and have been too tired to even log into Blogger in the evenings! I'm really glad you like the model. Hope you checked for old Chassepot rifles in your farmhouse! :-) Best wishes,
      Jason

      Delete