Tuesday 4 September 2018

English Civil War - Artillery


Progress has been immensely pleasing in the last month or so with completed units and models joining their comrades at a great pace.  It is often the inspiration from finishing a unit which acts as the spur to get the next batch of unpainted lead moving through the painting desk.


I have completed these guns and crews in just two weeks.  This is incredibly fast for me.  I painted and based 3 models in about 5 days and then 2 more models in another 5 days.  It was nice to get models out which I had undercoated a few years ago and put aside and finally get some paint on them!


These models are from Bicorne miniatures and are mixture of 'Galloper' guns and Falconets.  Actually two of the Galloper guns are very old Minifigs pieces which I had retired.  They had been painted in a gaudy red and looked dreadful.  However I noticed that size-wise they fitted very well with the Bicorne models, so I would see how a darker hue would look.



The two central models in the pics above and below are the Minifigs Galloper guns, suitably worn from travelling on poor English roads.  I'm really pleased how they have turned out. Now manned by an able Bicorne crew they are worthy of taking their places in the gun lines (or in hedgerows, placed by Sir William Waller, ready to ambush the Royalist vanguards in the lanes of the West Country!).



Paints were a combination of Foundry Triads, Vallejo, Miniature Paints, and even Flames of War.  I am using Foundry Paints probably for 75% of my painting these days. 





There are some real characters amongst the gun crews but I think the Parliamentarian officer above is one of my favourites.






I have just received a much needed set of reinforcements for Waller's army which are just waiting for some paint to go on.  I have been side-tracked by an unexpected project though.  More to follow!

17 comments:

  1. Very good figures well painted !
    Bravo !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolytly wonderful, most impressive close ups and stunning details!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Phil, thank you - I have to keep the standard up now! :-)

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Hi Cyrus, Thank you for your kind comment. For some reason I seem never to paint as many guns as I should have. I think it's because I like seeing infantry units. I thought it time that my artillery caught up a bit!

      Delete
  4. Lovely work on these. Very nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lawrence, Many thanks for your kind comments. I'm glad you like them.

      Delete
  5. Very nicely done, working on some of these myself, this was inspiring. If you have a moment could you tell me what paints you are using for your buff coats? I use vallejo and citidal paints.

    Cheers
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kevin, I used to use Vallejo buff over a chocolate brown but I have now moved away from this. I start with an overall black undercoat and now do a base coat of Vallejo chocolate brown over the buff coat and then apply the Wargames Foundry Paint System 'Buff Leather' starting with Shade 7A and working to the lightest 7C. Sometimes I will finish with a dry brush a little of Vallejo buff 120 over the buff coat's draw ties just to bring them out a little. I find this works wonderfully to give a worn buff coat look without making it look like a dirty rag. I hope this helps.
      Best wishes,
      Jason

      Delete
    2. Excellent sir, indeed it does help, thanks for sharing.

      Cheers
      Kevin

      Delete
  6. Fantastic work, Jason. And the speed you achieved it in is very impressive. AND you painted their eyes - and very well indeed! Congrats and best wishes on this growing project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dean, Thanks - I have slowed down a bit now - I think I'm getting a little bit of painting burn out. I managed just to do some undercoating this week!

      Delete
  7. Great additions, jason. the artillery isn't a big force to be reckoned with in the ECW, sieges aside, but had its place none the less!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Peter, Many thanks - yes this should be sufficient for many of the battles, especially for those in the West Country where smaller light guns came into their own with fairly rapid (for the time!) movement and ambushes.

      Delete