Friday 17 August 2018

English Civil War - Colonel Sir Robert Cooke's Regiment of Foote


Here we have the finished pike block of Colonel Sir Robert Cooke's Regiment of Foote.  I completed the musketeers a couple of years ago and the pike received an undercoat at the time but were then put aside as other projects took my attention.  Having waited patiently for me, I have now returned to finish the job.


I find there is a limit to the number of 28mm figures that I can focus on to paint as a unit at the same time. The very maximum is 30 if they are straight forward (ie are covered head to foot in mail!).  I can do 24 figures if inspired, for instance if I am painting a really smart American Revolutionary War unit.  Otherwise 12 to 16 figures is about my limit.  I can then paint in a production line method, applying one colour at a time and doing that to each figure as I work down the lines of troops on my painting table.


Thankfully I keep a folder where I jot down the step by step processes and which colours I used for each unit.  If I need to pick things up later to finish a unit (as in the case of this particular regiment), then there is no reason why I cannot match the remainder of the unit. 

Over the years I do change technique but as long as the basic colours are used then all is well. I merely update my methods and over-staple the new sheet over the old ones - I can track my own change of styles and techniques this way too.  I find it strangely interesting - especially my change from white to black undercoats.


This regiment served in Sir William Waller's army during the Western Campaign of 1643.  In some books the Colonel is noted as Edward Cooke, but Edward appears to have been a Colonel of his own cavalry regiment.  Sir Robert died in 1643.


I have made guesses at the uniform coat colour and the flag colours as they appear to be completely unknown for this regiment.  I chose these colours simply because I liked them and the coat colours differed from previous paint tones used.  I have red coats on some of my units but I wanted more of a faded russet for this one.  Foundry terracotta shades seemed to work perfectly. 


Sashes have been painted in yellow shades to reflect allegiance to Sir William Waller.  There is no definite evidence that I have found that regional commanders had their own sash colours, but orange was associated with the Earl of Essex and Waller was no friend of Essex.  Having his men wear Essex's colour would probably have been hard to bear.  I have read that it is now believed that the New Model Army and Fairfax's men wore blue sashes, though I wish I had made a note of where I read that.



The figures are from the very fine Bicorne Miniatures.  The flags are from the very talented GMB Flags.



As usual I have based the figures on MDF with magnetic sheet at the base to hold the figures safely when in their box.


I don't normally go for marching poses, but there was something about these that I really liked.  I thought that one regiment marching surely wouldn't do any harm.  I have moved the officers to the front from my usual mid-formation position.

Amusingly (or painfully!) when I move the figures I just have to remember that the pikes are now facing my hands!  I do run a metal file over the tip to remove some of the needle-sharp qualities of these steel pikes to attempt to prevent serious injury though they are still sharp enough to dig deep (as my camera lens found out 3 years ago when I last photographed pikemen close up!).




...And here we have the rest of the regiment joining the pikemen.  I like my ECW units to have some depth and to look impressive.  40 figures are my usual for ECW 'standard sized' foot units.



Sir William Waller's army are on their way to being fully represented for the Western Campaign of 1643.   I will have to do work on the Royalists again soon.

21 comments:

  1. Lovely looking, Jason. Careful with those pikes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dean, Thanks - yes the last game nearly turned into a bloody affair with an inadvertent 'hand-spiking' on a pike block! :-)
      Best wishes,
      Jason

      Delete
  2. I like the look of your pike and shorter. Forty figure regiments are impressive. My own are 27 figures and they look good too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jonathan, Thank you very much :-) Yes there is something to be said for good sized regiment.
      Best wishes,
      Jason

      Delete
  3. Inspired job, details are stunning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Phil,
      Thank you for your kind compliment. :-)
      Best wishes,
      Jason

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks Christopher, I'm glad you like them.
      Best wishes,
      Jason

      Delete
  5. Great regiment !
    Effectively, flags are very good.
    Bravo !😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you L'Empereur Zoom13! Yes, the GMB produced flags really raised the standard of flags for wargaming figures. I love them.
      Best wishes,
      Jason

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Hi Peter,
      Thanks, I'm glad you like them. It was really nice to get away from all of WW2 vehicles and apply a bit of colour!
      Best wishes,
      Jason

      Delete
  7. Lovely work! I also love the marching poses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Simon, Thanks for your kind compliments :-)
      I really think Bicorne Miniatures got the marching poses spot on for these figures - there is an air of weariness about them as they carry their pike - just how I'm sure I would look carrying a 16 foot wooden pole!
      Best wishes,
      Jason

      Delete
  8. I'd cut it down to 12'. ;-) Love the Bicornes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very well done. Amazed, but glad that I have just now found your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks IG, Glad you have found my blog and like what you see :-) I'll be posting more English Civil War stuff soon.
      Best wishes,
      Jason

      Delete
  10. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete